It is projected that in 2020 and forward, challenges in automation testing are growing by leaps. Some of these challenges include picking an appropriate tool, skilled testers, upfront expenses, and time constraints. According to Kumar and Mishra (2016), 30% of QA teams’ effort is utilized in manually writing test cases many times to seek significant returns in the long run. Here it’s very well said that those challenges yield the latest innovative idea - codeless automation testing tools.
First, let’s define what codeless test automation means. It banks on an approach where test cases are automated with the minimum code. That means, to really adopt codeless test automation, you need tools that are equipped with project templates for workflow, element libraries, and interface customization.
Moreover, when combining AI and Machine Learning capabilities into the self-healing mechanism, these tools call for near-zero test maintenance but still maximize test stability and reusability. In a nutshell, codeless test automation joined the game to push the tester’s career forward while taking away the hurdles in the testing automation process.
With a host of tailored features, Codeless Test Automation is expected to be one of the best automation testing trends you don’t want to miss out in 2020.
Let’s take a look at the top popular codeless testing tools in 2020.
The Most Popular Codeless Testing Tools in 2020https://medium.com/@briananderson2209/top-10-codeless-testing-tools-in-2020-every-tester-should-know-2cb4bd119313
1. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is the leading codeless testing solution in the market for API, Mobile, Web, and Desktop applications. It allows newcomers to automate testing right away using both SOAP and REST requests with various types of commands and parameterization functionalities. Users don’t have to worry about building new frameworks from scratch as Katalon Studio combines UI and API/Web services in multiple environments (like Windows, macOS, and Linux) for them.
With the rich host of built-in keywords and dual-scripting interfaces, experts can have advanced code written fluently. This can be considered a unique advantage of Katalon Studio to serve both beginner and expert levels.
- Minimum of code
- All-in-one tool for various types of testing: API, WebUI, Desktop App, and Mobile testing
- Record and Playback records and switches all movements into runnable back-end codes
- Feature files are automatically saved in BDD formats and standards without further steps needed
- Integrations with CI/CD and ALM tools (Git, Jenkins, qTest, Jira, CircleCI,etc.)
- Smart Wait feature serves Selenium users’ purpose to handle Selenium wait issues without adding any codes
- Since Katalon Studio 7, test artifacts like custom keywords can be easily imported and exported across Katalon Studio projects
As one of the 2020 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choices for Software Test Automation, Katalon Studio guarantees its position at the forefront of the test automation market.
Pricing: Free - $759/year
TestCraft is a complete SaaS toolset for test automation supporting regression and continuous testing. For Web application functional testing and monitoring - it optimizes intuitive test flow creation and execution by drag-and-drop elements and a model instead of a recording. That means for every flow you can reuse the same flow with different data sets and quickly re-arrange when the application changes.
The Smart Binding feature also binds elements as well as fixes issues during runtime whenever a test breaks. Even if your web application modifies, all new elements are automatically collected in TestCraft, resilient enough to reuse for new flows.
- Rapid setup and test creation without extra plug-ins
- Intuitive UI, smooth UX needless of advanced development skills
- Smart Binding prevents tests from breaking easily despite all changes
- Simultaneous tests on different platforms and environments
- Resilient binding based on a unique mechanism can fix issues on the fly during runtime
- Integrations with Test Management, Issue Management, Notifications & Communication tools such as Slack, JIRA, Jenkins, GitLab, TeamCity, etc.
Pricing: Commercial - Contact sales.
Perfecto is a fully-featured test automation software designed to serve SMEs. It provides end-to-end solutions for web-based and mobile applications. It also provides multiple supported devices, browsers, and OS combinations for mobile and web app testing.
What makes Perfecto stand out is that 97.4% of the application is robust and AI-driven bindings. That means, it can stimulate a variety of real-device scenarios in the cloud while maintaining devices. However, there are some places not well-suited to capture market data and charts, which are crucial for every industry.
- AI-driven test maintenance
- Perfecto’s Install widget enables easy installation of third-party applications or APK files on remote devices
- Hybrid object approach in Mobile Cloud, comprising both Visual (OCR) based objects and native objects for iOS/Android devices.
- 3 different cloud-based deployment options
- Unlimited test execution on many Android/iOS devices and in parallel
- Slow response in every environment.
Pricing: From $3,600/year.
CloudQA is a powerful cloud-based integrated codeless test automation platform designed to build, maintain, and execute tests against many browsers in parallel.
CloudQA gives you the equivalent power of Selenium without sophisticated programming skills required. Recorded tests are put into maintainable modules and visualized into easily comprehensible forms. Even similar tests can be reused for regression testing, load testing, and synthetic monitoring.
- Support synthetic monitoring or build complex functional tests without modifying any codes
- Re-use functional scripts in numerous tests
- Complete control over workflow scripts and runtime
- A variety of supported major browsers (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, IE)
- Transform workflow scripts to JMeter scripts in minutes for virtual browser testing
- TruLoad automatically creates thread-safe containers across countless test nodes
- Imitate real-world users with screenshots after every step
- Tests can be loaded despite geographic locations
Pricing: From $1,188/year
Sikuli is a visual technology to set up scripts that utilize GUI parts of the screen for active areas. One of their features, Sikuli Script, is a visual scripting API for Jython and Sikuli IDE. All graphical areas are captured by Sikuli Script from the interface or imported from images without internal APIs support.
Furthermore, you can edit your visual scripting API via Sikuli IDE to control a webpage, a desktop application running on Windows/Linux/macOS, even an emulator. However, compared to other codeless tools, Sikuli requires you to install the Java runtime as an extra plugin.
- Image recognition algorithms to identify all GUI components
- Access to application’s structure is not required
- Can reach anything out of range for other tools
- Support all types of browsers and devices, even simulators
- Libraries for development in Java
- Python is used as the scripting language to customize the tool
- Easily create automatic tests but uncertain to sustain
Mabl delivers codeless end-to-end test automation using proprietary machine learning models, along with the CI/CD pipeline. It automatically identifies and diagnoses web and desktop application issues quickly before they affect the customer experience. Hence, it prevents bad releases with automated regression insights of every build.
In Mabl, robust user experience testing, visual design, and performance testing can run in minutes across dominant browsers, in parallel and in the cloud. Meanwhile, they are still automatically repaired whenever there are UI changes, thus reducing test maintenance time.
- Mabl Trainer tracks all interactions and helps users add assertions
- No more flippant test results since the auto-healing mechanism keep tests stable no matter the changes in the app UI
- View the test status on the Tests tab in your Azure DevOps pipeline
- Rebaseline and set baseline image fix for visual change models
- Comprehensive data dashboard and insights
- Integrations with the CI/CD pipeline, Bamboo, Jenkins, Slack to stay up-to-date with high deployment speed of DevOps
Pricing: Contact sales.
Applitools was created from the ground for handling visual validation and many Pixel issues that most other image-based testing tools find it difficult to manage. It allows you to automatically detect all the visual bugs in your application and correct them. You may think of Applitools as a tool in conjunction with Selenium in handling complicated visual validation in a robust, scalable way, and leave the functional testing to the tools specially designed to handle that.
Applitools can be either cloud-based or installed on premise with a REST API. A bunch of SDKs in most programming languages are waiting for you to upload for visual validation.
Pricing: Contact sales
Usetrace enables product teams to monitor essential business scenarios and provides on-demand testing features to smooth out efficient functionalities of a website or web app. Moreover, Usetrace offers a clear dashboard that tracks the status of each trace in detail. More importantly, automated SMS notifications are even sent to all the relevant stakeholders whenever the website breaks.
Usetrace also lets users view website functionalities across a variety of browsers like IE (multiple versions), Chrome, and Firefox. Additional features are integrated involving project management and collaboration, test reporting, trace editor, responsive testing, and synchronization & waiting.
- Set up test scripts immediately without further setup needed
- UI regression tests are recorded and converted into runnable back-end codes
- Traces monitor both scheduled or on-demand features constantly and takes over manual regression testing every time the app alters
- Various types of testing are supported, from backend testing, database, user experience, website performance, content, to networks and third-party testing
- SMS alerts received on the spot when a test breaks
- Effective team collaboration on email, Slack, JIRA, Jenkins, Visual Studio Online, GitHub, Codeship, Flowdock, Bitbucket, and HipChat
Pricing: From $1,188/year
Leapwork is a visual object-oriented tool that automates repetitive test cases for both desktop apps and websites. No matter how simple or complex the tests, users would barely meet restrictions due to a rich host of building blocks to determine its actual behavior.
Above all, the host can be further spread with custom-made and reusable sub-flows, such as logging into an environment or opening a particular web page, which means tests stay easy to understand and maintain at all levels. Also, I was impressed by an enthusiastic help desk that solved my problem of applying Leapwork.
- Visual-based workflow engine creates test cases by drawing flowcharts in the Canvas area, depending on your application flow
- Run tests interactively on multiple platforms, even BrowserStack or Selenium Grid, and on local or remote machines
- Reusable components are combined with automation tests across test cases
- Test cases, test components, best practices can be shared across various projects
- All historical executions, manual or scheduled triggers are shown in the reports
- Case trending area or bar graphs, as well as widget configurations on the dashboard
- Schedules start from DevOps by calling the REST API from Powershell scripts
- Integrations with CI/CD pipeline
Pricing: Contact sales.
Ranorex Studio allows users to build robust test automation scripts for broad coverage of Desktop, Web, and Mobile applications. To maintain and run automated tests, Ranorex Studio offers an extensive range of tools based on standard programming techniques and languages, making them ideal for teams at scale.
Ranorex is worth trying due to a stable testing framework that exposes bugs early, and can implement test automation at both functional and professional levels. It runs parallel tests in different browsers, thus reducing troubleshooting time and quickly upgrading into a bug-free sophisticated application.
- Cross-platforms and devices with all supported technologies (.NET, Java, Flex, HTML)
- Ranorex Recorder can record test steps as actions on the application under test and playback
- Object recognition tool Ranorex Spy identifies the hierarchy of UI elements on the screen
- Run the maintenance mode while running tests so you can fix scripts and find out how it unfolds on the fly
- Display comprehensive reports of test execution workflow
- Ranorex Repository creates a unique logical path of the UI elements
- Only supports C# and VB.NET Shop languages
Pricing: From $3,130/year
To sum up, it is undeniable that testing has always been a primary part of the software development cycle. It has never been more necessary to innovate better ways to improve testing quality and save time. QA testers are moving to codeless automation testing tools since it’s scalable and flexible for Agile projects with limited timeframes and unstable scopes.
However, without codes, software isn’t software anymore. Scripts are automatically created in the background hiding from you; thus, it’s necessary for automation testers to acquire coding knowledge to customize their scripts further.
What’s the future of codeless test automation tools? While critics argued that codeless test automation poses a threat of replacing automation testers completely, I believe that it makes the job more simple for the business as well as saves their time.
Top 10 Codeless Testing Tools in 2020 | Every Tester Should Know
- ‹ Codeless Testing Tools are The Solutions For 2020’s Test Automation Challenges
- How to upload / attach file using Appium ›